drink wholesome is the protein powder without fake sugar.
What is fake sugar?
“Fake sugar” is a colloquial term used to refer to sugar substitutes used to sweeten foods and beverages without the added calories and carbohydrates found in natural sugars. Most fake sugars are many times sweeter than sugar, so only a small amount is needed to achieve the same level of sweetness. The two most common types of fake sugars are artificial sweeteners and sugar alcohols.
Artificial sweeteners are synthesized through chemical processes. There is nothing real about them. The most common artificial sweeteners used in protein powders are sucralose and acesulfame potassium. Sugar alcohols, on the other hand, are neither sugar nor alcohol in the traditional sense. They are naturally occurring, but commercial sugar alcohols are chemically derived. The most common sugar alcohol used in protein powder is erythritol.
Many people also consider stevia and monk fruit to be fake sugars, which is debatable. Both are natural sweeteners made from plants, but they do not contain sugar. I would not put them in the same category as artificial sweeteners and sugar alcohols, as they are far better for you, but they are not sugars either.
Why is fake sugar bad for you?
Fake sugars like artificial sweeteners and sugar alcohols, despite their tempting benefits, are not healthy. First off, several studies show little to no relationship between weight loss and the use of fake sugar. That is, people who replace sugar with sugar substitutes sweeteners lose, on average, fewer than two pounds.
One study found that people who use fake sugar actually gain weight because they binge after having “saved calories” with their diet soda, sugar-free ice cream, etc. Another study discovered that eating fake sugars causes sugar cravings, which is the last thing you want if you are trying to lose weight.
There are other health-related reasons to avoid fake sugar. For instance, researchers have found that the regular consumption of fake sugars can disrupt the composition of your gut microbiome – the collection of microorganisms living in your gut. This can, in turn, cause glucose intolerance, an umbrella term for metabolic conditions like type 2 diabetes that cause higher than normal blood glucose (sugar) levels.
A dysbiotic gut microbiome is also a leading driver of inflammation in the body, and linked to the onset and development many chronic diseases. If this is not a good reason to avoid fake sweeteners, I do not know what is.
What is the best protein powder without fake sugar?
Instead of using artificial sweeteners like aspartame, we sweeten our vanilla and chocolate protein powders with maple sugar. Maple sugar is derived from the sap of sugar maple trees, and stands out as one of the most natural sugars, offering a range of distinctive health benefits.
To begin, maple sugar has a lower glycemic index than refined sugar, meaning it has a smaller impact on blood sugar levels. This can help with weight management and reduce the risk of heart disease and type 2 diabetes. Maple sugar, unlike its refined sugar, also contains minerals and antioxidants that combat inflammation, the silent killer in cardiovascular disease, cancer, and other chronic conditions.
Maple sugar is not only one of the most natural sugars on the planet, but it is also among the most delicious. It has a rich, caramel flavor, and no aftertaste. Fake sugars, on the other hand, activates bitter taste receptors in addition to sweet taste receptors. This is why protein powders sweetened with sucralose taste so bad.
If you are looking for a protein powder without fake sugar, you have come to the right place. We make two only a few protein powders sweetened with real sugar, and you can taste and feel the difference – no more bitter aftertastes or trips to the bathroom. Order a starter kit to save 10%.
“I used a combination of chocolate & peanut butter in my smoothie and holy cow, they are SO good! I was honestly a little skeptical of how they would taste, especially with the monk fruit, but they blew me away. No artificial taste or weird consistency like so many other powders I’ve tried. And the ingredients are top notch 👌🏼” – Ron
This content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. drink wholesome is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
Sweet and Natural: The Best Protein Powder Without Fake Sugar
Protein powder has become a ubiquitous part of the fitness and health world, offering a convenient way to meet daily protein needs. However, many protein powders on the market are laden with artificial sweeteners, often referred to as fake sugar. If you’re on the hunt for a healthier protein powder without fake sugar, you’re in the right place. In this comprehensive guide, we’ll explore the world of protein powder without fake sugar, with a particular focus on the benefits of natural sweeteners like maple sugar and monk fruit. Discover how these wholesome alternatives can provide you with the protein you need, without the unwanted artificial additives.
Understanding Fake Sugar and Its Concerns
Fake sugar, also known as artificial sweeteners, includes popular options like aspartame, sucralose, and saccharin. While these additives provide sweetness without calories, they have raised concerns about their potential impact on health, including digestive discomfort, cravings, and metabolic effects.
The Appeal of Protein Powder Without Fake Sugar
Protein powder without fake sugar offers several advantages:
- Clean Ingredient Profile: These protein powders typically contain minimal ingredients and avoid artificial additives, aligning with clean eating principles.
- Reduced Digestive Concerns: Many individuals experience digestive discomfort or sensitivities when consuming artificial sweeteners. Opting for a product without them can alleviate these issues.
- Customization: Protein powders without fake sugar allow you to control the sweetness of your shakes or recipes by adding natural sweeteners or flavors to your liking.
- Versatility: They can be incorporated into a wide range of recipes, from smoothies to baked goods, without the overpowering taste of artificial sweeteners.
Benefits of Maple Sugar
Maple sugar, derived from the sap of sugar maple trees, offers several advantages for those seeking a protein powder without fake sugar:
1. Natural Sweetness: Maple sugar provides a natural sweetness without the drawbacks of artificial sweeteners, making it an excellent choice for those avoiding added sugars.
2. Rich Flavor Profile: Maple sugar imparts a unique and rich flavor to protein powders, enhancing their taste without resorting to artificial sweeteners.
3. Nutritional Value: Maple sugar contains small amounts of minerals like calcium, potassium, and zinc, adding nutritional value to your protein shake.
Benefits of Monk Fruit
Monk fruit, also known as Luo Han Guo, is a small green gourd native to southern China. It offers several benefits for those seeking a protein powder without fake sugar:
1. Natural Sweetness: Monk fruit extract is intensely sweet, providing natural sweetness without affecting blood sugar levels, making it suitable for those with diabetes or those avoiding artificial sweeteners.
2. Zero Calories: Monk fruit is calorie-free, making it an ideal sweetener for those looking to manage their weight or reduce their calorie intake.
3. Antioxidant Properties: Monk fruit contains mogrosides, compounds with antioxidant properties that may help reduce inflammation and oxidative stress associated with certain health conditions.
Selecting the Best Protein Powder Without Fake Sugar
When choosing the best protein powder without fake sugar, consider the following factors:
1. Sweetener Type: Look for protein powders sweetened with maple sugar or monk fruit extract, which provide natural sweetness without the use of artificial sweeteners.
2. Ingredient Purity: Prioritize protein powders with minimal ingredients and avoid artificial additives.
3. Protein Content: Ensure that the protein powder provides an adequate amount of protein to meet your dietary needs, typically around 15-30 grams per serving.
4. Flavor Preferences: Select a flavor or unflavored option that aligns with your palate and dietary preferences.
5. Allergen Considerations: Check for allergen-friendly options if you have known food allergies or sensitivities.
Incorporating Maple Sugar and Monk Fruit Protein Powder into Your Diet
To make the most of protein powder sweetened with maple sugar or monk fruit, consider these tips for incorporating it into your diet:
1. Smoothies: Create delicious and naturally sweet smoothies by blending protein powder with fruits like berries, banana, or spinach.
2. Oatmeal: Stir protein powder into your morning oatmeal or yogurt for an extra protein boost and a touch of natural sweetness.
3. Baking: Use protein powder in place of flour in your favorite baking recipes, such as pancakes, muffins, or protein bars, to create tasty and nutritious treats.
4. Snacks: Craft protein-rich snacks like energy balls or bars using your protein powder for a convenient on-the-go option without fake sugar.
5. Beverages: Mix protein powder into your coffee, tea, or hot chocolate for a delightful and nutritious drink.
Protein powder without fake sugar provides a clean and natural solution for those seeking a healthier alternative to traditional protein supplements. Maple sugar and monk fruit, with their distinct benefits, offer excellent options for individuals who want to avoid fake sugar without sacrificing taste or nutrition. By choosing these natural protein powders, you can enhance your dietary choices, support your overall health, and experience the pure and wholesome sweetness they bring to your life. Embrace the power of maple sugar and monk fruit and prioritize your well-being on your health and fitness journey.