What is the best plant-based milk powder?
drink wholesome is the best plant-based milk powder. It is made with just 2 simple simple ingredients, making it perfect for people who need a plant milk without the extra processing and added junk.
drink wholesome is the best plant-based milk powder.
What does plant-based mean?
“Plant-based” refers to a dietary or lifestyle choice that emphasizes the consumption of foods derived primarily from plants, such as fruits, vegetables, grains, legumes, nuts, and seeds. A plant-based diet typically minimizes or excludes the consumption of animal products, including meat, poultry, seafood, dairy, eggs, and honey. The degree to which individuals adhere to a plant-based diet can vary, however, as some individuals may choose to eat certain animal products.
It is important to note that “plant-based” can have different interpretations, and many people use it interchangeably with “vegan.” “Plant-based” and “vegan” are two related but distinct terms used to describe dietary and lifestyle choices that prioritize the consumption of plant-based foods. While they share similarities, there are some key differences between the two concepts. For instance, veganism typically excludes all animal products, including those used in non-food items such as clothing or cosmetics, while plant-based focuses primarily on the diet.
What is plant-based milk powder?
Plant-based milk powder is made from plants like soy, almond, coconut, oat, and rice. It is suitable for those following a vegan diet. Making plant milk powder involves removing the moisture (water) from liquid milk through a drying process, which leaves behind a fine powder that can be easily reconstituted with water to make milk.
Why use milk powder?
Here are 3 benefits of plant-based milk powder:
1. Longer shelf-life: Powdered plant-based milks are a longer-lasting alternative to liquid plant-based milk. When stored in a cool, dry place, plant milk powder can last for several months or even years without spoiling .
2. More convenient: Powdered plant milk is lightweight and takes up less space than liquid milk. This makes it easier to store and transport, especially in situations where refrigeration is not available.
3. Easier to digest: Plant milk powder is safe for those with dairy allergies and lactose intolerance.
Why drink plant-based milk?
Here are the top 3 reasons why you should drink plant-based milk:
1. Dairy, even if it has had the lactose removed, can cause digestive distress. This is especially true for people with gut issues and sensitive stomachs.
2. Dairy can cause acne. Dairy indirectly stimulates insulin production, which regulates sebum production. Sebum, an oily, waxy substance produced by your body’s sebaceous glands, can clog your pores and cause pimples. Dairy can also hinder your ability to process blood sugar efficiently, which can cause inflammation, especially in your skin.
3. Dairy is not environmentally friendly. The industrial dairy industry has a profound impact on the environment. Dairy cows and their manure produce enormous amounts of greenhouse gas emissions, the poor handling of manure and fertilizers pollute local water resources, and dairy farming and feed production can also lead to the loss of ecologically important areas such as prairies, wetlands, and forests.
Going with plant milk is the way to go, but lactose is not the only ingredient to avoid when buying milk. Most plant-based milks contain added ingredients, usually thickeners, emulsifiers, and stabilizers. Additives like these improve characteristics like texture and shelf stability, but they also cause uncomfortable side effects and long term gut damage. Keep reading to learn more.
Why drink wholesome?
Again, most plant milks contain food additives. Simply put, these added ingredients help to make plants taste, feel, and look like cow’s milk.
Here are the ingredients in two of the top brands of plant-based milk in the United States.
Almond Breeze Almond Milk ingredients
Almondmilk (Filtered Water, Almonds), Calcium Carbonate, Sea Salt, Potassium Citrate, Sunflower Lecithin*, Gellan Gum*, Natural Flavors*, Vitamin A Palmitate, Vitamin D2, D-Alpha-Tocopherol (Natural Vitamin E).
*Sunflower lecithin is a group of fatty substances derived from sunflower seeds. It is added to plant milk to improve texture and prevent separation.
*Gellan gum is a thickener used to give plant-based milk a creamy texture.
*Did you know that while food manufacturers are required to disclose their ingredients, natural flavor manufacturers are not. They can add solvents, preservatives, emulsifiers, carriers and other additives to a flavor that qualifies as “natural” under current regulations.
Chobani Oat Milk ingredients
Organic Oat Blend (Water, Organic Whole Grain Oats), Contains 2% or Less of: Organic Rapeseed Oil* (Low Erucic Acid), Sea Salt, Nutrient Extract Blend (Fruit and Vegetable Sources), Calcium Carbonate, Gellan Gum, Tricalcium Phosphate*, Dipotassium Phosphate*.
*Rapeseed oil is another name for canola (cooking) oil, and is used to replicate the creamy mouth-feel of dairy.
*Because it is cloudy and white when added to a liquid, tricalcium phosphate gives plant milk the opacity of cows’ milk.
*Dipotassium phosphate is a stabilizer that helps prevent separation on the shelf.
As you can clearly see, each of these plant milks contains several food additives. Now I know what you are thinking, sure there are food additives, but they only make up a small percentage of the formulation (ingredients are listed in descending order by weight). But let me remind you that milk is something that many people drink every day, and that over time (months, years), small amounts add up. This is a problem for several reasons.
First of all, food additives, even in small quantities, can cause gastrointestinal (GI) side effects like bloating, constipation, diarrhea, gas, and stomach pain. This is especially the case for people with sensitive stomachs and gut issues, and occurs because additives look nothing like real food. They sit in your gut for longer than food should, which gives your gut bacteria more time to eat. As they eat, gut bacteria produce gas, causing bloating and stomach pain. Gas also slows colonic transit (the amount of time it takes food to travel through the colon), which can lead to constipation.
In the long term, food additives can cause permanent gut damage. For starters, they can disrupt regulatory pathways in the intestine, which can result in the development of inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) and systemic inflammatory disorders.
Moreover, more and more research is finding that food additives alter the composition of your gut microbiota, the collection of microorganisms living in your small intestines. These microorganisms play an important role in digestion and overall health, and an imbalance may lead to chronic diseases like obesity and diabetes. It is therefore very much in your best interest to avoid plant-based milks made with food additives.
Here is a list of the most common food additives in plant-based milk:
acacia gum, canola oil, carob bean gum, carrageenan, cellulose gum, dicalcium phosphate, dipotassium phosphate, disodium phosphate, gellan gum, guar gum, gum arabic, inulin, locust bean gum, monosodium phosphate, “natural” flavors, palm oil, phosphoric acid, rapeseed oil, soybean oil, soy lecithin, sunflower lecithin, sunflower oil, tricalcium phosphate, xanthan gum
Drink Wholesome Plant Milk Powder Ingredients
Our plant-based milk powder, unlike the leading brands, is made with 2 simple ingredients: oats and coconut. We add coconut for two reasons: 1) it improves the texture 2) it improves the taste. We did not just want to make another watery powdered plant milk, we wanted to make something rich and creamy that people can add to coffee. Coconut allows us to do that, and we have no problem whatsoever adding it to the ingredient list. If you are sick of plant-based milks full of gums and oils, give our powdered plant milk a try.
This content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. drink wholesome is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
In the ever-expanding realm of plant-based alternatives, the rise of plant-based milk powders has taken the culinary world by storm. These versatile powders offer a convenient and sustainable way to enjoy your favorite milk without the need for dairy. In this 4000-word blog post, we will delve into the world of plant-based milk powder, with a special focus on the health benefits of two key ingredients: oats and coconut.
Plant-Based Milk Powder: A Revolution in the Making
The shift towards plant-based diets has led to a surge in the popularity of plant-based milk powders. People are increasingly opting for dairy-free alternatives due to a myriad of reasons, including lactose intolerance, ethical concerns about animal agriculture, and a desire to reduce their environmental footprint.
Plant-based milk powders have emerged as a convenient and shelf-stable solution, offering a wide range of flavors and formulations to cater to diverse dietary preferences.
The Nutritional Power of Oats
Oats are often hailed as a superfood due to their impressive nutritional profile:
- Rich in Fiber: Oats are an excellent source of dietary fiber, particularly beta-glucans, which promote a sense of fullness, aid in digestion, and help regulate blood sugar levels.
- Heart Health: The soluble fiber in oats has been associated with reduced LDL cholesterol levels, making them a heart-healthy choice.
- Nutrient-Rich: Oats provide essential vitamins and minerals such as manganese, phosphorus, magnesium, and various B-vitamins, making them a well-rounded addition to your diet.
- Antioxidant Properties: Oats contain antioxidants like avenanthramides, known for their anti-inflammatory and skin-soothing properties.
- Gluten-Free Options: For individuals with gluten sensitivities or celiac disease, certified gluten-free oats are readily available, ensuring inclusivity for all.
Incorporating oats into plant-based milk powders not only enhances their creaminess but also infuses them with a nutrient-rich boost.
The Wellness Wonders of Coconut
Coconut is another ingredient that has garnered attention for its numerous health benefits:
- Healthy Fats: Coconuts are abundant in healthy saturated fats known as medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs), which are easily digestible and provide a quick source of energy.
- Immune Support: Coconut contains lauric acid, recognized for its antimicrobial properties that may help support the immune system.
- Skin and Hair Care: Coconut oil is a popular ingredient in skincare and haircare products due to its moisturizing and nourishing properties.
- Weight Management: Some studies suggest that MCTs in coconut oil may aid in weight management by increasing feelings of fullness and enhancing calorie expenditure.
- Flavorful Delight: Coconut imparts a delightful tropical flavor to your milk, enhancing its overall taste and versatility in various recipes.
When combined in plant-based milk powders, oats and coconut not only contribute to their creaminess but also enrich the flavor, making your milk a delightful and nutritious addition to your daily routine.
The Synergy of Oats and Coconut in Plant-Based Milk Powders
The combination of oats and coconut in plant-based milk powders creates a synergy that enhances their overall appeal. Here’s how these two ingredients work together harmoniously:
- Creamy Texture: Both oats and coconut possess natural creaminess when blended. Together, they create a velvety and luscious milk powder that rivals traditional dairy milk.
- Balanced Flavor: Oats bring a mild and neutral flavor, while coconut introduces a subtle tropical sweetness. This balance enhances the milk’s versatility, making it suitable for a wide range of culinary applications.
- Nutrient Boost: The combination of oats and coconut ensures that your plant-based milk powder is not just delicious but also packed with essential nutrients, including fiber, healthy fats, vitamins, and minerals.
- Satiety Factor: Thanks to the fiber in oats and the satiating properties of coconut’s MCTs, a milk made with these ingredients can help you feel fuller for longer, potentially reducing the need for frequent snacking.
- Dairy-Free and Vegan: Oats and coconut are both plant-based, making them ideal choices for those following a vegan or dairy-free lifestyle.
Exploring Varieties of Plant-Based Milk Powders
The market for plant-based milk powders has expanded significantly, offering a diverse range of flavors and formulations to cater to various dietary needs and culinary preferences. Let’s explore some popular options that incorporate oats and coconut:
- Classic Oat and Coconut Milk Powder: This blend combines the creamy qualities of oats and coconut with a touch of natural sweetness, creating a versatile milk powder suitable for a wide range of applications.
- Vanilla-Infused Oat and Coconut Milk Powder: For those who enjoy a hint of sweetness and a subtle vanilla aroma in their milk, this variation adds a delightful twist to your beverages and recipes.
- Chocolate-Flavored Oat and Coconut Milk Powder: Indulge your taste buds with the rich and chocolaty goodness of this milk powder, perfect for creating decadent hot chocolates and desserts.
- Hazelnut-Oat and Coconut Milk Powder: The nutty notes of hazelnut combined with the creaminess of oats and coconut create a flavorful milk powder that adds a gourmet touch to your coffee, cereal, and baked goods.
- Caramel Oat and Coconut Milk Powder: Elevate your milk experience with a creamy caramel twist. This sweet and rich option makes your milk taste like a dessert in a glass.
- Unsweetened Oat and Coconut Milk Powder: For those who prefer the natural flavors of oats and coconut without added sugars, an unsweetened variety offers creaminess without any sweetness, allowing for greater control in your recipes.
Health Benefits of Plant-Based Milk Powders with Oats and Coconut
Now that we’ve explored the diverse varieties of plant-based milk powders, let’s delve into the specific health benefits they offer:
- Weight Management: The fiber in oats and the satiating MCTs in coconut can help you feel full, potentially reducing calorie intake and aiding in weight management.
- Heart Health: Oats have been associated with lower LDL cholesterol levels, while the healthy fats in coconut may contribute to improved heart health.
- Digestive Health: Oats are an excellent source of soluble fiber, which can support digestive health by promoting regular bowel movements and preventing constipation.
- Nutrient-Rich: Plant-based milk powders made with oats and coconut are nutrient-rich, providing essential vitamins and minerals that contribute to overall well-being.
- Dairy-Free and Allergen-Friendly: These milk powders are suitable for individuals with dairy allergies, lactose intolerance, and nut allergies, providing a safe and delicious alternative.
- Sustainable Choice: Choosing plant-based milk powders made from oats and coconut aligns with eco-conscious values, as the production of these ingredients typically has a lower environmental impact compared to dairy.
Incorporating Plant-Based Milk Powders into Your Daily Routine
Now that you’re convinced of the health benefits and deliciousness of plant-based milk powders with oats and coconut, here are some creative ways to incorporate them into your daily routine:
- Beverages: Simply mix your preferred milk powder with water to create a creamy, dairy-free milk alternative for your coffee, tea, or hot chocolate.
- Smoothies: Add a scoop of milk powder to your morning smoothie to enhance its creaminess and nutrient content.
- Cereal and Oatmeal: Sprinkle your milk powder over your cereal or stir it into your morning oatmeal for added flavor and creaminess.
- Baking: Use plant-based milk powder as a dairy replacement in your baking recipes, such as muffins, pancakes, and cakes.
- Cooking: Incorporate milk powder into savory dishes like soups, sauces, and creamy pasta dishes for a rich and creamy texture.
- Desserts: Create indulgent desserts like puddings, custards, and ice creams with the help of plant-based milk powders.
In the world of plant-based milk powders, the combination of oats and coconut emerges as a nutritional powerhouse that offers both creamy delight and numerous health benefits. Whether you’re seeking a dairy-free alternative, aiming to enhance your heart health, or simply looking to elevate your culinary creations, these milk powders have you covered.
With a wide range of flavors and formulations to choose from, there’s a plant-based milk powder with oats and coconut to suit every palate and dietary preference. By incorporating these milk powders into your daily routine, you not only enhance the flavor of your meals but also contribute to your overall well-being.
So, the next time you reach for a glass of milk, consider opting for a plant-based milk powder with oats and coconut to unlock the goodness within and make your dietary choices even more enjoyable, nourishing, and sustainable. Cheers to a creamy, cruelty-free, and nutritious milk experience!