drink wholesome makes the best electrolyte drinks for POTS.
What is POTS?
POTS stands for Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome. It is a medical condition that primarily affects the autonomic nervous system, leading to an abnormal increase in heart rate when a person moves from lying down to standing up.
Normally, when you stand up, your body compensates for the change by increasing your heart rate slightly to maintain blood flow to the brain and other organs. In people with POTS, this increase is excessive, often to the tune of 30 beats per minute or more.
POTS patients usually have a normal heart. Their symptoms arise from a combination of: 1) a lower amount of blood in the circulation 2) excessive pooling of blood below the level of the heart when upright and 3) elevated levels of certain hormones such as epinephrine.
What are electrolytes?
Electrolytes are minerals like sodium, potassium, and calcium that carry an electric charge. They are found in bodily fluids like blood and urine, and play a crucial role in nerve and muscle function, blood pressure regulation, and other physiological processes. Maintaining the right balance of electrolytes is crucial for overall health.
Why are electrolytes important for people with POTS?
First of all, increasing electrolyte intake has been shown to decrease tachycardia (high resting heart rate) in people with POTS, as a result of increased blood pressure through increasing blood volume. Electrolytes, particularly sodium, can increase blood volume by influencing fluid retention in the body.
Many people with POTS have issues maintaining fluid balance due to a condition called hypovolemia – a state of abnormally low extracellular fluid. Electrolytes can help these people by directing fluids to the tissues that need them the most through a process called osmosis. During osmosis, water moves through the wall of a cell membrane from a dilute solution (more water and fewer electrolytes) toward a more concentrated solution (less water and more electrolytes).
Finally, people with POTS experience a host of gastrointestinal (GI) issues, including vomiting and diarrhea. Both these symptoms involve the loss of fluid containing electrolytes, which can lead to severe dehydration. For these individuals, replenishing electrolytes as quickly as possible is extremely important
As you can see, POTS patients often need to intake significant amounts of extra electrolytes. Eating foods rich in electrolytes like bananas (potassium), leafy greens (magnesium), dairy products (calcium) can help, but it is often not enough. This is where electrolyte drinks come to the rescue. Be careful, however, because not all electrolyte drinks are created equal.
What are the best POTS electrolytes?
Many electrolyte drinks are made with ingredients that can cause painful GI side effects and long term health problems. Some of the top offenders include fake sweeteners, fake flavors, and food additives like anti-caking agents, colors, and preservatives.
Ingredients like these look nothing like real food, which makes them hard to digest. As a result, they can cause symptoms like bloating, diarrhea, and stomach pain. They can also disrupt your gut microbiome — the collection of microorganisms living in your gut. An unhealthy gut microbiome is a leading driver of inflammation, and linked to the development of several chronic diseases. I do not know about you, but this is not a risk I am willing to take.
It follows that the best POTS electrolytes are made with a short list of simple ingredients. The fewer the ingredients, and the more the ingredients look like real food, the less likely it is that your electrolyte drink will compromise your gut health.
Why drink wholesome?
Available in strawberry and blueberry flavors, our hydration powders are hands down the electrolytes for pots POTS. We use only simple ingredients like real fruit, coconut water, maple sugar, and sea salt, all of which are easy to digest.
SUGAR, DEXTROSE, CITRIC ACID, SALT, SODIUM CITRATE, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, MONOPOTASSIUM PHOSPHATE, CALCIUM SILICATE, MODIFIED FOOD STARCH, CARAMEL COLOR, RED 40
In case you were wondering, the coconut water and sea salt provide most of the electrolytes, and the fruit and maple sugar help transport these electrolytes to the tissues that need them the most. This is a natural way to hydrate, and completely safe for people with POTS.
A homemade electrolyte drink for POTS.
-1 tbsp strawberry hydration powder
-4 oz water
-carbonated beverage of choice (we like Olipop)
-2 lime wedges
Mix the hydration powder into the water. Top off the glass with the carbonated beverage, squeeze in some fresh lime juice, and add ice. Add ice, and enjoy delicious hydration and electrolytes for POTS.
This content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. drink wholesome is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
Electrolyte Drinks for POTS: Natural Ingredients for Optimal Hydration
Living with Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome (POTS) can be a daily struggle, as the condition brings a range of symptoms, including rapid heart rate upon standing, dizziness, and fatigue. Managing POTS effectively involves a comprehensive approach, which includes lifestyle changes and dietary adjustments. Electrolyte drinks play a vital role in this strategy, helping individuals with POTS maintain hydration and improve their overall well-being. In this blog post, we will explore some of the best electrolyte drinks for POTS, with a focus on the health benefits of incorporating real fruit, coconut water, maple sugar, and sea salt.
Understanding POTS and Electrolytes
Before we delve into the specifics of electrolyte drinks, it’s important to understand the connection between POTS and electrolytes. Electrolytes are essential minerals that carry electrical charges and play a pivotal role in various bodily functions, including maintaining fluid balance, supporting nerve function, and facilitating muscle contractions.
For individuals with POTS, maintaining the right balance of electrolytes is crucial because they often face challenges like dehydration and electrolyte imbalances due to excessive sweating and difficulties regulating blood flow. Electrolyte drinks can help replenish lost electrolytes, improve hydration, and alleviate the symptoms of POTS.
Real Fruit: A Natural Source of Flavor and Nutrition
Incorporating real fruit into your homemade electrolyte drinks not only enhances the taste but also provides essential vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Here are some reasons to consider using real fruit in your POTS-friendly beverages:
- Nutrient-Rich: Fruits like berries, oranges, and kiwis are packed with essential vitamins and minerals. For example, vitamin C, which is abundant in citrus fruits, supports overall health and boosts the immune system.
- Natural Flavor: Real fruits add a burst of natural sweetness and flavor to your drinks without relying on excessive sugar or artificial additives. This makes your homemade electrolyte drinks not only delicious but also healthier.
- Antioxidant Power: Fruits are rich in antioxidants, which help protect your cells from oxidative stress and damage. This can provide additional health benefits for individuals with POTS.
Coconut Water: Nature’s Electrolyte Solution
Coconut water has gained popularity as a natural alternative to commercial sports drinks, and for good reason. It offers several advantages for individuals with POTS:
- Electrolyte-Rich: Coconut water is a natural source of electrolytes, especially potassium and sodium. Potassium is essential for muscle and nerve function, while sodium helps regulate fluid balance and blood pressure.
- Effective Hydration: With its high water content, coconut water is an excellent choice for maintaining hydration. Staying adequately hydrated is crucial for individuals with POTS to prevent symptoms like dizziness and lightheadedness.
- Low in Sugar: Unlike many commercial sports drinks, coconut water contains less sugar, making it suitable for those who need to monitor their sugar intake.
Maple Sugar: A Natural Sweetener with Health Benefits
Maple sugar, derived from maple syrup, can be used as a natural sweetener in your homemade electrolyte drinks. Here’s why it’s a beneficial choice:
- Low Glycemic Index: Maple sugar has a lower glycemic index compared to regular table sugar. This means it has a slower impact on blood sugar levels, which is advantageous for individuals with POTS who need to manage blood sugar fluctuations.
- Natural Sweetness: Maple sugar adds a pleasant, natural sweetness to your drinks without the need for artificial sweeteners or high-fructose corn syrup.
- Antioxidant Content: Maple syrup contains antioxidants, such as phenolic compounds, that can help protect your cells from oxidative stress, providing additional health benefits for individuals with POTS.
Sea Salt: The Unsung Hero of Electrolytes
While not a primary ingredient in electrolyte drinks, sea salt can be added to enhance the electrolyte content and flavor. Here’s why sea salt is a valuable addition:
- Sodium and Chloride: Sea salt is a source of essential electrolytes, primarily sodium and chloride. These electrolytes are vital for regulating fluid balance, nerve function, and muscle contraction.
- Blood Pressure Support: Proper sodium intake can help individuals with POTS maintain blood pressure levels within a normal range. Sea salt can contribute to this while avoiding excessive sodium consumption.
Choosing the Right Electrolyte Drink for POTS
When it comes to selecting the best electrolyte drink for POTS, you have several options. You can purchase commercially available electrolyte drinks or create your own homemade versions using natural ingredients like real fruit, coconut water, maple sugar, and sea salt. Here are some considerations:
- Commercial Electrolyte Drinks: Many brands offer electrolyte drinks designed for hydration and symptom management. When choosing a commercial option, look for products with minimal added sugars and artificial additives. It’s also a good idea to consult with your healthcare provider or dietitian for recommendations based on your specific needs.
- Homemade Electrolyte Drinks: Creating your own electrolyte drinks allows you to tailor the ingredients to your preferences and dietary restrictions. You can experiment with various combinations of real fruit, coconut water, maple sugar, and sea salt to find the flavor and electrolyte balance that works best for you.
- Personalized Guidance: It’s important to consult with a healthcare provider or registered dietitian when making significant dietary changes, especially if you have specific dietary restrictions or underlying medical conditions. They can provide personalized guidance on creating the ideal electrolyte drink for your POTS management plan.
For individuals living with POTS, managing symptoms like rapid heart rate, dizziness, and fatigue is a constant challenge. Electrolyte drinks can be a valuable addition to their treatment plan, helping to maintain proper hydration, replenish lost electrolytes, and improve overall well-being. By incorporating natural ingredients like real fruit, coconut water, maple sugar, and sea salt into these drinks, individuals with POTS can enjoy flavorful and nutritious beverages that align with their health goals.
Remember that POTS management is a multifaceted journey, and dietary adjustments are just one aspect. It’s essential to work closely with your healthcare team to develop a comprehensive strategy that addresses your specific needs and enhances your quality of life. With the right approach to hydration and nutrition, individuals with POTS can take proactive steps towards a healthier and more comfortable life.