Why is protein powder so expensive?
Why is protein powder so expensive? Here are the top 5 reasons why protein powder is expensive.
5 reasons why protein powder is so expensive.
We make protein powders. We use premium ingredients, and manufacture by hand in small batches, so we understand better than most why protein powder costs so much. Here the top 5 reasons why protein powder hurts your wallet.
1. Ingredient costs. Protein powder is so expensive because the cost of ingredients is high. Protein itself is not cheap. Flavorings and sweeteners are pricey. If a protein powder is made with high quality ingredients, it will show on the price tag.
Our biggest cost is by far the cost of our ingredients. To make vanilla protein powder, we purchase premium ingredients like egg whites, coconut, maple sugar, vanilla, and monk fruit in bulk, and ship them to our facility in Plymouth, MA When I say “premium,” I mean it. Unlike most protein powders, our protein powders are made with 100% real foods. We do not use food-additives to hide the flavor and texture of cheap ingredients, so our ingredients have to be top quality. We also import some of our ingredients, like coconut and monk fruit, which is expensive.
2. Packaging costs. Protein powder has a long shelf-life, but only if it is stored in durable, air-tight packaging. The packaging has to be durable because it contains multiple servings, meaning that will be opened and closed many times. Packaging like this is expensive, even when ordered in bulk.
3. Manufacturing costs. Making protein powder is expensive, especially in the United States. The United States is an expensive place to manufacture because labor costs are so high. As a small company, we manufacture our protein powders by hand in Plymouth, Massachusetts. Manufacturing by hand takes a lot of time, which means high labor costs.
4. Shipping costs. Most sales of protein powder take place online. This means that companies have to ship their protein powders to customers, which is expensive. Shipping a 1 lb bag of protein powder from New York to California, for example, costs us anywhere from 6 to 9 dollars. We are primarily an ecommerce business, and we ship our protein powders all over the United States. Although we do enjoy reduced shipping rates as a business, shipping costs are still one of our biggest costs.
5. Demand. Generally speaking, protein powder companies price their products according to the amount that customers are willing to pay, and it just so happens that people are willing to pay a lot for protein supplements. This is especially the case for protein supplements endorsed by celebrities and professional athletes.
It is worth noting that many of the costs of making protein powder are beyond the control of protein powder companies. Due to the pandemic, for instance, we have been paying more for just about everything. Ingredient and labor shortages are causing supply-chain disruptions, which are driving up costs. These costs are passed on to the customer.
I hope you enjoyed this transparent explanation as to why protein powder costs so much. If you are looking for a premium protein powder that will not break the bank, try drink wholesome. It is more expensive than some options, but as is the case with most things, you get what you pay for.
This content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.