What is the best bariatric meal replacement?
drink wholesome is the best bariatric meal replacement. It is made with a short list of simple ingredients. If you need to boost your protein intake without added caffeine, extra processing, or added junk, you have to come to the right place. Order samples to see if our bariatric replacement shakes are right for you.
drink wholesome is the best bariatric meal replacement.
What is bariatric surgery?
Bariatric surgery is a form of weight-loss surgery that involves making changes to your digestive system. It is performed when diet and exercise are not working, or when you have serious health complications because of your weight. Some procedures limit how much you can eat. Others reduce the body’s ability to absorb nutrients.
Are meal replacements good for bariatric surgery?
All bariatric patients must follow a two-week pre-operation liquid diet no matter what type of bariatric procedure is being performed. Drinking your food will not only jump start weight loss, but will also help reduce the size of your liver making the procedure easier to perform. During these two weeks, meal replacement shakes are a good option as they are loaded with nutrients.
In the weeks following surgery, bariatric patients must also adhere to a liquid diet. Once again, meal replacement shakes can come in handy.
Bariatric surgery is not a magic bullet, and patients need to follow a strict diet after the surgery to ensure that they meet their long-term weight loss goals. One of the most significant challenges after bariatric surgery is ensuring adequate nutrient intake while limiting calorie intake. This is where meal replacements can offer a convenient and effective solution.
Meal replacement shakes provide a balanced meal, making it for patients to meet their nutritional needs without consuming excess calories. Meal replacements are also high in protein, which has two benefits. First, protein helps with healing and recovery. Second, protein is the most satiating nutrient, meaning it keeps you feeling full for longer. This, in turn, helps curb cravings and prevent overeating.
Finally, meal replacements are generally a good source of fiber. Fiber helps promote regular bowel movements and can help prevent constipation, which is a common side effect of bariatric surgery.
What are the best bariatric meal replacement shakes?
The first thing you need to know is that all meal replacements are not created equal. Some are better for you than others, and some are downright unhealthy. The latter tend to be made with a long list of ingredients known to cause painful side effects and long-term health problems.
The ingredients I am referring to are emulsifiers like sunflower lecithin, thickeners like guar gum, sweeteners like sucralose, and flavorings like natural flavors. All of these food additives have been shown to alter the composition of your gut microbiome – the collection of microorganisms living in your gut. This is a problem because research shows that disruptions to the composition of the gut microbiome can impact the success of bariatric surgery.
Bariatric patients with a healthy gut microbiome tend to have better outcomes because a healthy gut plays a crucial role in weight loss and lowers the chances of post-surgery complications. Additionally, research indicates that bariatric surgery itself can harm the gut microbiome, putting bariatric patients at a higher risk of developing gut-related issues. It is this wise to opt for a meal replacement shake with a short list of simple ingredients.
Why drink wholesome?
drink wholesome is additive-free.
One of the reasons why we make the best bariatric meal replacement shakes is that we do not use any food additives, period. Even in small quantities, these added ingredients can lead to uncomfortable side effects, especially for individuals with sensitive stomachs.
Here is a list of the most common food additives in meal replacement shakes:
acacia gum, acesulfame potassium, artificial flavors, aspartame, carrageenan, cellulose gum, dextrin, dextrose, erythritol, gellan gum, guar gum, gum arabic, inulin, locust bean gum, “natural” flavors, maltodextrin, rice syrup solids, soy lecithin, silica, sucralose, sunflower lecithin, xanthan gum, xylitol
Food additives undergo extensive processing, making them look little to nothing like real food. This makes them challenging to digest and provides more time for your gut bacteria to break them down. As bacteria work, they release gas, which can cause symptoms like bloating, flatulence, and stomach pain. It can also slow down colonic transit, the time it takes for food to pass through your colon, causing constipation.
In some instances, partially digested food additives can cause your colon to either absorb too much water or prevent water absorption altogether. This situation is referred to as osmotic diarrhea, which explains why some people may experience a sudden urge to visit the restroom after consuming a meal replacement shake.
SOY PROTEIN ISOLATE, CANOLA OIL, MALTODEXTRIN, ISOMALTULOSE, SOLUBLE CORN FIBER, MODIFIED FOOD STARCH, VITAMIN AND MINERAL PREMIX, CELLULOSE, NATURAL & ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS, SOY LECITHIN, SALT, MONO & DIGLYCERIDE, XANTHAN GUM, SUCRALOSE
drink wholesome is dairy-free.
Another reason why we make the best bariatric meal replacement shakes is that we do not use dairy-based proteins. Many meal replacements are made with whey and casein, which come from the cheese and yogurt-making process. These ingredients are notorious for causing digestive problems.
Lactose, the sugar found in dairy products like whey and casein, is challenging for most adults to digest. As you now know, foods that are hard to digest often lead to painful side effects. It is therefore a smart move to avoid whey and casein whenever you can.
drink wholesome is made with real foods.
A final reason why we make the best bariatric meal replacement shakes is that we do not use protein concentrates or isolates. Most other meal replacement powders contain one or both of these protein sources.
Protein concentrates and isolates go through extensive mechanical and chemical processing, sometimes using solvents like hexane. As a result, what you consume is quite different from whole, unprocessed food.
Your digestive system is naturally equipped to deal with minimally processed or unprocessed foods, not protein concentrates or isolates. This is why research shows that regular consumption of refined ingredients like these can disrupt your gut microbiome. Once more, an imbalanced gut microbiome is a matter of great importance.
Instead of relying on protein concentrates or isolates, we make the best meal replacement shakes for bariatric patients with egg whites and almonds. Protein sources like these, which undergo minimal processing, offer a gut-friendly alternative to protein concentrates and isolates.
Unlike protein isolates and concentrates, whole foods such as egg whites and almonds come with enzymes and digestive aids that make them easy to digest. Egg whites have an added benefit of being low in fiber, low in FODMAPs, alkaline (helping maintain a healthy gut pH), and bioactive (encouraging the growth of healthy gut bacteria).
Almonds are also highly beneficial for gut health. They have prebiotic properties, meaning they enhance the diversity of your gut microbiota. They also promote regular and healthy bowel movements, which is great news for bariatric patients who often experience constipation. It is simple, wholesome ingredients like these that serve as our secret to creating the best bariatric meal replacement.
“This is one of the only things that my stomach can handle. I honestly don’t know what I would do without it. I make 2 shakes every day with water without any side effects. Sometimes I add frozen banana. I really enjoy the flavor, and it fills me right up. Thank you for making such a simple, high quality product!!!” – Lucas
This content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. drink wholesome is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
A Comprehensive Guide to Choosing the Best Bariatric Meal Replacement Shakes
Bariatric surgery is a life-changing decision that requires a dedicated approach to nutrition. One key aspect of post-bariatric surgery nutrition is the inclusion of meal replacement shakes. These shakes offer a convenient and effective way to ensure that you receive the essential nutrients while managing portion sizes and calorie intake. In this guide, we will explore what to look for when buying the best bariatric meal replacement shakes, with a focus on the benefits of incorporating ingredients like egg whites, almonds, oats, and coconut meat for bariatric patients.
Understanding the Importance of Bariatric Meal Replacement Shakes
Before we delve into the specifics of selecting the right meal replacement shakes, it’s crucial to understand why these shakes are essential for individuals who have undergone bariatric surgery.
- Portion Control: After bariatric surgery, your stomach’s capacity is significantly reduced. This makes it challenging to consume large meals. Bariatric meal replacement shakes are designed to provide the necessary nutrients without overloading your stomach, helping you maintain portion control.
- Convenience: Busy lifestyles can make it difficult to prepare balanced meals regularly. Meal replacement shakes offer a convenient and time-saving alternative, requiring minimal preparation and no cooking.
- Nutritional Support: Bariatric patients are at risk of nutritional deficiencies due to reduced food intake. Meal replacement shakes are formulated to be nutritionally dense, ensuring that you receive essential vitamins, minerals, and macronutrients to support overall health.
- Weight Management: When used as part of a balanced diet and exercise regimen, bariatric meal replacement shakes can aid in weight loss and weight management. They help control calorie intake, making it easier to achieve and maintain a healthy weight.
- Versatility: These shakes are highly customizable, allowing you to tailor them to your taste preferences and dietary needs. You can add various ingredients, such as fruits, vegetables, and protein sources, to create a diverse range of flavors and nutrient profiles.
Now that we understand the importance of these shakes, let’s explore what to look for when purchasing them and how specific ingredients like egg whites, almonds, oats, and coconut meat can enhance their nutritional value.
Key Considerations When Buying Bariatric Meal Replacement Shakes
- Protein Content: Protein is a crucial nutrient for bariatric patients, as it supports muscle maintenance and overall health. Look for shakes that have a high protein content, ideally around 15-30 grams per serving. Egg whites are an excellent source of high-quality protein, making them a valuable addition to bariatric shakes.
- Low Sugar: Excessive sugar can hinder weight loss and may lead to blood sugar fluctuations. Choose shakes with low sugar content or those sweetened with natural sweeteners like stevia or erythritol.
- Low Calorie: Bariatric patients must monitor their calorie intake carefully. Opt for shakes with controlled calorie levels, usually around 150-250 calories per serving.
- Fiber: Fiber is essential for digestion and a feeling of fullness. Look for shakes that contain some dietary fiber, but be mindful not to overconsume, as excessive fiber can lead to discomfort.
- Vitamins and Minerals: Ensure that the shakes provide a good balance of essential vitamins and minerals, as bariatric patients are at risk of deficiencies. These nutrients are critical for overall health and wellbeing.
- Texture and Taste: Everyone has different preferences when it comes to taste and texture. Experiment with different brands and flavors to find one that you enjoy and look forward to consuming regularly.
- Allergen Information: Check the ingredient list and allergen information to ensure that the shake is free from any substances you are allergic or sensitive to.
Now that we’ve covered what to look for in bariatric meal replacement shakes let’s delve into the benefits of incorporating specific ingredients like egg whites, almonds, oats, and coconut meat.
The Nutritional Benefits of Egg Whites
Egg whites are an excellent addition to bariatric meal replacement shakes for several reasons:
- High-Quality Protein: Egg whites are rich in high-quality protein, which is essential for muscle maintenance and overall health. They provide a complete set of amino acids, promoting muscle repair and growth.
- Low in Calories: Egg whites are low in calories, making them an ideal choice for bariatric patients who need to manage their calorie intake while ensuring adequate protein consumption.
- Satiety: Protein, including that from egg whites, can help you feel fuller for longer, reducing the temptation to snack on unhealthy foods.
- Nutrient-Rich: Egg whites contain essential vitamins and minerals, including B-vitamins, selenium, and riboflavin, contributing to your overall nutrient intake.
The Nutritional Benefits of Almonds
Almonds are a nutrient-dense ingredient that can enhance the nutritional value of your bariatric meal replacement shakes:
- Healthy Fats: Almonds contain heart-healthy monounsaturated fats that can help lower cholesterol levels and reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease. These fats also contribute to a feeling of fullness, helping to control appetite.
- Dietary Fiber: Almonds are an excellent source of dietary fiber, promoting healthy digestion and regular bowel movements. Fiber also helps stabilize blood sugar levels and contributes to a sense of fullness.
- Essential Nutrients: Almonds are packed with essential vitamins and minerals, including vitamin E, magnesium, and calcium, supporting overall health and wellbeing.
- Texture and Flavor: Almonds add a delightful nutty flavor and a creamy texture to your shakes, enhancing their taste and satisfaction.
The Nutritional Benefits of Oats
Oats are a heart-healthy choice and can provide several advantages when included in bariatric meal replacement shakes:
- Sustained Energy: Oats are slow-digesting carbohydrates, providing sustained energy without causing rapid spikes and crashes in blood sugar levels. This can help you maintain steady energy throughout the day.
- Heart Health: Oats are known for their heart-healthy properties. They contain soluble fiber, which can help lower cholesterol levels and reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease—a significant concern for individuals with obesity.
- Improved Digestion: The fiber in oats promotes healthy digestion and regular bowel movements, essential for bariatric patients dealing with altered digestive processes.
- Texture and Thickness: Oats can add thickness and creaminess to your shakes, making them more satisfying and enjoyable to consume.
The Nutritional Benefits of Coconut Meat
Coconut meat can infuse your bariatric meal replacement shakes with a delightful tropical flavor and provide additional health benefits:
- Healthy Fats: Coconut meat contains medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs), a type of healthy fat that is easily absorbed and used as an energy source. MCTs can be particularly beneficial for bariatric patients who may experience fat malabsorption.
- Flavor Variety: Coconut meat adds a unique tropical flavor to your shakes, diversifying your palate and making your dietary routine more enjoyable.
- Satiety: The healthy fats in coconut meat contribute to a sense of fullness, helping to control appetite and prevent excessive calorie consumption.
- Nutrient Density: Coconut meat contains essential vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants that support overall health. It can be a valuable addition to your shakes to ensure a wide range of nutrients.
In conclusion, bariatric meal replacement shakes are a crucial part of post-surgery nutrition, helping individuals manage portion sizes, calorie intake, and nutrient consumption. When purchasing these shakes, consider factors like protein content, low sugar, calorie count, fiber, vitamins, minerals, texture, and allergen information. Additionally, incorporating ingredients like egg whites, almonds, oats, and coconut meat can further enhance the nutritional value of these shakes, providing numerous health benefits for bariatric patients. Remember to consult with your healthcare provider or registered dietitian to determine the best options that align with your individual needs and goals.