drink wholesome makes the best meal replacement shakes without stevia.
What is stevia?
If a meal replacement does not contain sucralose or another artificial sweetener, it probably contains stevia. Stevia is an inexpensive zero calorie sweetener derived from the stevia rebaudiana plant. It is over 100 times sweeter than table sugar, and widely considered to be a “natural” alternative to artificial sweeteners. It follows that over the past decade or so, stevia has found its way into many meal replacement shakes looking to please health conscious consumers.
Why avoid stevia?
People dislike stevia for a few reasons. First of all, although it is sweet, stevia has an unpleasant bitter aftertaste. Unlike sugar, it activates bitter taste receptors in addition to sweet taste receptors.
Second, stevia is extracted from the stevia rebaudiana plant using chemicals like ethanol and methyl alcohol. One could argue that this makes it no more natural than the artificial sweeteners it aims to replace. In fact, there was a recent class action lawsuit filed in California that resulted in a $6.1 million settlement. It was concluded that the company in question had falsely labeled and advertised its stevia sweeteners as natural.
Finally, research has found that stevia can disrupt communications between bacteria in your gut microbiome. This is not something to be taken lightly, as your gut microbiome plays an integral role in overall health.
Why use monk fruit?
We use monk fruit as a sweetener in our stevia-free meal replacement shakes. Monk fruit, also known as luo han guo, is a melon-like fruit native to Southeast Asia. Its sweetness comes from non-caloric compounds called mogrosides.
There are several reasons why we favor monk fruit. First and foremost, monk fruit sweetener is one of the most natural sugar substitutes available. It’s produced by removing the seeds and skin, crushing the fruit, and then extracting the juice, which is subsequently dried into a fine powder. What sweetens your protein powder is basically concentrated fruit juice.
Another advantage of monk fruit is its sweetness, which closely resembles that of sugar. Among all sugar substitutes, monk fruit has the least aftertaste.
Because monk fruit sweetener has only been around for a decade, there is not a ton of information regarding its effects on chronic conditions like obesity and diabetes. It is worth noting, however, that this sweetener has been a staple in Asian cuisine for centuries, and that there are no adverse effects, even when it is consumed in large quantities. Small randomized trials have also shown that monk fruit does not appear to have any adverse impact on blood sugar or insulin levels.
What are the best meal replacement shakes without stevia?
We make the best meal replacement without stevia using pure monk fruit. You will not find a more natural, or naturally-sweetened meal replacement. Order samples to taste the difference.
“It is so hard to find a meal replacement without artificial sweeteners. There are a bunch of ones with stevia, but I can’t stand the taste. I don’t love monk fruit either, but this one is really good. It’s not too sweet and there’s no aftertaste. 10/10!!!” – Bruce
This content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. drink wholesome is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
Unveiling the Best Meal Replacement Shakes Without Stevia: Embracing Monk Fruit Sweetener
In the ever-evolving world of meal replacement shakes, striking the perfect balance between health and taste can be quite the journey. For those who prefer to steer clear of stevia, a common sugar substitute found in many meal replacement products, there’s a natural and tantalizing alternative: monk fruit sweetener. In this extensive guide, we will delve into the universe of meal replacement shakes without stevia and illuminate the numerous benefits of monk fruit sweetener.
The Quest for Stevia-Free Options
Stevia, extracted from the leaves of the Stevia rebaudiana plant, has gained notoriety as a natural sugar substitute due to its zero-calorie and zero-carbohydrate properties. While it delivers sweetness without the drawbacks of added sugars, some individuals find that stevia leaves a lingering, bitter aftertaste. This aftertaste can be off-putting, prompting many to seek alternatives.
Monk Fruit Sweetener: A Natural Marvel
Monk fruit sweetener, also known as luo han guo, offers a natural and enticing solution for those seeking stevia-free meal replacement options. Derived from the monk fruit, a melon-like fruit native to Southeast Asia, this sweetener has gained recognition for its remarkable sweetness without the bitter notes associated with stevia.
Benefits of Monk Fruit Sweetener
- Natural Sweetness: Monk fruit sweetener is often celebrated as one of the most natural sugar substitutes available. It is produced by extracting the juice from the fruit, which is then dried into a fine powder. Essentially, it’s concentrated fruit juice, providing natural sweetness without the need for chemical processing.
- No Aftertaste: One of the primary advantages of monk fruit sweetener is its clean and neutral taste profile. Unlike stevia, which can sometimes leave a bitter or licorice-like aftertaste, monk fruit sweetener is celebrated for its absence of lingering flavors.
- Low-Calorie Option: Monk fruit sweetener is incredibly low in calories, making it a suitable choice for individuals aiming to manage their calorie intake while enjoying a hint of sweetness in their meal replacement shakes.
- Natural Origins: Monk fruit has been a staple in Asian cuisine for centuries, with no reported adverse effects, even when consumed in substantial quantities. Its historical use as a natural sweetener lends credibility to its safety and suitability.
- No Impact on Blood Sugar: Small randomized trials have suggested that monk fruit sweetener does not appear to have any adverse effects on blood sugar or insulin levels. This makes it an attractive option for individuals with diabetes or those monitoring their glycemic responses.
- Prebiotic Properties: Monk fruit sweetener contains natural compounds that can act as prebiotics, supporting the growth of beneficial gut bacteria. A healthy gut microbiome is vital for digestion and overall well-being.
Incorporating Monk Fruit Sweetener into Meal Replacement Shakes
While we won’t provide specific recipes, here are some general guidelines for incorporating monk fruit sweetener into your stevia-free meal replacement shakes:
- Liquid Base: Start with a liquid base, such as water, almond milk, coconut milk, or dairy milk, depending on your dietary preferences.
- Protein Source: Choose your preferred protein source, such as whey protein, plant-based protein, or collagen peptides, to provide essential amino acids for muscle maintenance and growth.
- Fiber and Nutrients: Add fiber-rich ingredients like oats or flaxseed for sustained energy and essential nutrients. You can also incorporate leafy greens, fruits, or vegetables for added vitamins and minerals.
- Healthy Fats: Include sources of healthy fats like avocado, almond butter, or coconut oil to enhance the creaminess of your shake and provide satiety.
- Sweetening with Monk Fruit: Incorporate monk fruit sweetener as needed to achieve the desired level of sweetness. Start with a small amount and adjust to your taste preferences.
- Flavor Variations: Customize your shake with additional ingredients like cinnamon, vanilla extract, cocoa powder, or fruits to tailor it to your taste.
Monk fruit sweetener emerges as a promising alternative for those seeking stevia-free meal replacement shakes. Its natural sweetness, lack of aftertaste, low-calorie profile, and historical use as a safe sweetener make it an excellent choice for individuals pursuing health-conscious dietary options. However, as with any dietary change, it’s advisable to consult with a healthcare provider or nutritionist, especially if you have specific dietary goals or underlying health conditions.
Ultimately, monk fruit sweetener adds a touch of natural delight to meal replacement shakes without stevia, offering a flavorful and health-conscious solution for your nutritional needs. Whether you’re aiming to manage your calorie intake, support a healthy gut microbiome, or simply enjoy a refreshing and satisfying shake, monk fruit sweetener paves the way for a delicious and wholesome journey toward your dietary goals.